December 20, 2015

Madison Before Dark


Madison Before Dark is a guide to my favorite eating and drinking spots in Madison for the not-in-college-anymore and can't-pretend-I'm-in-college-anymore crowd. This crazy thing happens when you get older, you have more money to spend on a night out but less tolerance for alcohol and when I say less I mean A LOT less. Since I am limited to only a few beverages in my old age (unless I want to wake up feeling like I got hit by a bus repeatedly) I try to make smart decisions when choosing where I want to go for the evening. I love the Capital Square area in Madison since college students tend to stay on State Street, away from the Capital bars, and there are several options within a few block radius so if one isn't tickling my fancy, I can easily walk somewhere else.

The Tipsy Cow - small bar with a great outdoor seating area off the Capital Square making this an ideal option for lunch and an afternoon drink. Burgers, cheese curds and fries are a staple here.


The Old Fashioned - retro-styled, Wisconsin themed bar known for mouth watering cheese curds, brats and large selection of beer. Great choice for lunch, dinner and an evening out. It is generally packed so the atmosphere is bound to be lively and fun. 


Brocach Irish Pub - Whiskey, Guinness and upscale Irish pub food bring the crowd to Brocach.

Madison's - good food, good drinks, nice outdoor area for pre or post-dinner drinks and a crazy dance floor that gets a little college wild after 10 pm. This is the one restaurant/bar on my list that may make you feel a bit old after 11 pm. Some college kiddos venture here to get sweaty on the makeshift dance floor. If you've been here since 9 pm you probably won't care (or even realize) but if you show up at 11 pm thinking it will be a classy place, you may be a bit disappointed. 

The Great Dane - Brew pub. Check. Pool tables. Check. Good food. Check. Great place to hang out with friends and family. Check. The Great Dane has it all. 


Cooper's Tavern - One of my favorite spots on Capital Square is Cooper's Tavern. They have amazing breakfast, lunch and dinner and a beer list that offers selections from all around the world. It will be hard to tell yourself it's time to go home. 


Merchant - modern place to have a nice dinner or drop in for some fancy schmancy craft cocktails at night. 

DLUX - the morning after you've had two drinks and wake up with a pounding headache, head over to DLUX for a build your own Bloody Mary Bar. Need I say more? 



   Email

Photos via 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9

No comments:

Post a Comment