January 29, 2016

Paris in Chicago

If you're dreaming of going to Paris but can't fit it into your budget, schedule or realm of possibility, don't give up hope. There are plenty of Parisian inspired restaurants, bars and shops hidden in nearly every big city. Since Chicago is a close weekend destination for me, I have had several chances to explore the city for Parisian inspired areas that whisk me away to France. Each of these locations gave me the sense that I was in the City of Love rather than the Windy City. If you can't afford to go to Paris, search in your area for restaurants, bars, parks, streets and stores that bring Paris to you. Trust me, they are out there, you just have to get out and explore which is half of the fun anyways!  

If you love French food and market style eateries, this place is screaming your name. I wandered around aimlessly trying to determine where to stop and figured a long line was a good sign. So I got in line at Pastoral Artisan Cheese Bread & Wine and enjoyed a fantastic meat and cheese sandwich on a baguette of course!  


Oh macarons. It was only a short while ago that I discovered these delicious treats. Life only got better after I had my first macaron and I never tire of exploring new flavors. The melt-in-your-mouth, cream center cookie is unlike any dessert I've had. Vanille Patisserie is my favorite macaron spot in Chicago and conveniently enough, there is a Vanille Patisserie right inside the French Market!

Mon Ami Gabi

A quintessential French Bistro located near the the Lincoln Park Zoo. This is a lovely location to dine at or grab a glass of wine and enjoy soaking up the Parisian vibes in the outdoor patio space. Croque-Madame please!

When I think of fancy beverages, the first drink that comes to mind is champagne. One of my favorite champagne drinks if the French cocktail, Kir Royale. Kir Royale is a fantastically beautiful and delicious mix of creme de cassis and champagne. The top place to go for such a drink is RM Champagne in the trendy West Loop area.  


P.O.S.H. is a super chic, Parisian inspired, home decor shop. It is hard to walk into this store and not want to bring a little piece of France home with you. Somehow I made it out without purchasing anything my first time visiting. That decision was made only because of the lack of room in my suitcase rather than my desire to take something home!

One of my all time favorite parts of Paris were the quaint floral shops that seemingly appeared on every corner. If I had more time I would have spent an entire day visiting as many floral shops as possible. Steven's Floral Market is a great representation of how Parisian floral shops spill out onto the sidewalk demanding that each passerby notices the flower's beauty.


If the exterior of the Waldorf Astoria doesn't scream Parisian style I don't know what does. The white washed brick, the square rooftops and the Juliette balconies are the epitome of Parisian buildings. If you're wanting to be transported to Paris for a brief instant, a walk past the Waldorf Astoria is the perfect (and free) activity. 

Buckingham Fountain

South of Millennium Park lies the dreamy Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park which is reminiscent of the Fountain at Place de La Concorde in the center of Paris. This is a great area for photo opportunities of both the fountain and the skyline of downtown Chicago in the backdrop. 


A hopefully helpful guide to help easily find Paris in the heart of Chicago. 

Happy hunting in your own city!



   Email

Photos via 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 67  |  8

No comments:

Post a Comment