May 13, 2015

Sacré-Cœur, Paris


I spent four breath-taking days in Paris and while I can't say one day was favored over another, I can say that the day I visited the Sacré-Cœur was the most unexpected. Located north of the city center in Montmartre, the 18th arrondissement, this area and monument would have gone unvisited if it weren't for a friend recommending it. The contrast of the stark white basilica set against the piercing blue sky made for an astounding first impression. It wasn't until I got there that I discovered you could climb to the top of the dome. Shockingly there was no line, unlike the patience-testing, seemingly never-ending line sprawled out in front of Notre Dame. Seriously, don't waste your time. I paid the 3 euros and started my ascent... huffing my way to the top. Although exhausted, the view from the top made all 300 stairs worth the sweat and tears.

Without a doubt, Sacré-Cœur and the surrounding Montmartre neighborhood are both must-see attractions without being obnoxiously touristy for anyone visiting Paris. I would highly recommend taking a half or full day exploring the winding streets of Montmartre, stopping by the Sacré-Cœur, grabbing a bite to eat, sipping on a Kir Royale and realizing it doesn't get much better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment